The 2nd United States Sharpshooters – Company D – served as members of Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. These companies came from Maine and are honored by a monument.
Dedicated Oct. 3, 1889.
Location: Granite Farm Lane, 1300 feet east of Emmitsburg Road. The monument marks the general location of the line held by the Maine Sharpshooters on July 2, 1863.
Description: The monument consists of a granite monolith with apex-top set on rough-faced granite base. Commemorative text incised on front. Monument is 2.6 foot square and 3.3 foot high on a rough hewn base that is 3.4 foot square. Overall height is 4.9 foot. An inscription is cut into the north face.