The 1st United States Sharpshooters – Company F – served as members of Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. These companies came from Vermont and are honored by a monument.
Dedicated Oct. 9, 1898.
Location: Located on the north end of Pitzer Woods north of Berdan Avenue. West of West Confederate Avenue. The monument marks the advanced site occupied by Co. F on the morning of July 2, 1863, when they advanced from the III Corps lines to the woods on the Fairfield (Millestown) Road, where they met Confederate skirmishes.
Description: Monument is a 4.5 foot-in-circumference Vermont marble shaft that is seventeen foot high topped with a sculptured eagle. The base is 5.9 foot square with inscriptions. A tall fluted Corinthian column topped by an eagle with wings spread.