The 17th United States Infantry Regiment served as members of Burbank’s Brigade in Ayres’ Division of the Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: Located in field South of Ayres Avenue.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SECOND DIVISION SECOND BRIGADE
SEVENTEENTH U. S. INFANTRY
Lieut. Colonel J. Durell Green Commanding
July 2. Arrived in the morning and took position with the Brigade on the right of the Twelfth Corps. Later moved to the left and at 5 P. M. formed line with the Brigade at the right of Little Round Top and advanced across Plum Run to the crest of the rocky wooded hill beyond near the Wheatfield under a severe fire from the Confederate sharpshooters on the left then facing left the Regiment with the Brigade occupied the stone wall on the edge of the woods. The Confederates having opened fire on the right and advanced in the Wheatfield in the rear the Brigade was withdrawn under a heavy fire on both flanks and from the rear and formed in line on the right of Little Round Top having been engaged about two hours.
July 3. Remained in same position.
Present 25 Officers and 235 Men
Casualties Killed 1 Officer and 24 Men Wounded 13 Officers and 105 Men Missing 7 Men