The 12th United States Infantry Regiment served as members of Day’s Brigade in Ayres’ Division of the Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: Located West side of Ayres Avenue.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SECOND DIVISION FIRST BRIGADE
TWELFTH U. S. INFANTRY
Captain Thomas S. Dunn Commanding
July 2. Arrived in the morning and took position with the Brigade and Division near the Twelfth Corps on the right. Moved with the Division from the right to the left of the line and at 5 P. M. with the Brigade moved across Plum Run near Little Round Top and supported the Second Brigade in its advance to the crest of the rocky wooded hill in front and facing left engaged the Confederates but retired under a heavy fire on both flanks and from the rear after the Confederates had obtained possession of the Wheatfield in the rear of the Brigade and went into position on Little Round Top.
July 3. Remained in same position.
July 4. Regiment with the 14th supported the 3D 4th and 6th U. S. Infantry in a reconnaissance and developed a force of Confederate infantry and artillery in front.
Casualties Killed 1 Officer and 7 Men Wounded 4 Officers and 87 Men Missing 13 Men