The 4th United States Artillery – Battery F served as members of Muhlenberg’s Brigade in the Twelfth Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: Located south side of Hunt Avenue, near Baltimore Pike.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
BATTERY F FOURTH U. S. ARTILLERY
Six 12 Pounders
Lieut. Sylvanus T. Rugg Commanding
July 1. Approached Gettysburg on the Baltimore Pike to Two Taverns and took position to counteract any movements of the Confederates from towards Hanover. At noon moved to the Hanover Road and marched to within one and one half miles of Gettysburg.
July 2. Took position so as to command a gap between the First and Second Corps.
July 3. At 1 A. M. posted opposite the centre of the line of theTwelfth Corps and at 4.30 opened fire on the Confederates who had taken possession of a portion of the line of the Twelfth Corps the preceding night. Continued firing until after 10 A. M. when the Confederates were driven from the line. In the afternoon the Battery was exposed to severe shelling which passed over Cemetery Hill.
Casualties Wounded 1 Man