The 4th United States Artillery, Battery E served as members of Robertson’s Brigade of the Army of the Potomac’s Cavalry Corps. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: Located in woods South of South Confederate Avenue at Bushman Hill, from whence its guns fired on South Cavalry Field.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIRST BRIGADE HORSE ARTILLERY
BATTERY E FOURTH U. S. ARTILLERY
Four 3 Inch Rifles
Lieut. Samuel S. Elder Commanding
July 3. Arrived on the field and took position on a hill southwest of Round Top and engaged under Brig. General E. J. Fransworth in the afternoon against the Confederate right.
Casualties Killed 1 Man