The 4th United States Artillery Battery C served as members of Ransom’s Brigade of the Artillery Reserve in the Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by a monument.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: Located west side of South Hancock Avenue near Pennsylvania Monument.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIRST REGULAR BRIGADE
BATTERY C FOURTH U. S. ARTILLERY
Six 12 Pounders
Lieut. Evan Thomas Commanding
July 2. Arrived and took position on crest of hill near General Meade’s Headquarters on the left of the Second Corps and was actively engaged in repelling the attack of the Confederates.
July 3. In position near the left of the Second Corps line.
Casualties Killed 1 Man Wounded 1 Officer and 16 Men