The 4th United States Artillery, Battery B served as members of Wainwright’s Brigade in the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: Locates position occupied by Stewarts Battery B, 4th US during Battle of Gettysburg, July 1-3, 1863.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
BATTERY B FOURTH U. S. ARTILLERY
Six 12 Pounders
Lieut. James Stewart Commanding
July 1. In position about 200 yards south of the Seminary until 3 P. M. when ordered to the support of Brig. General J. C. Robinson’s Division First Corps and took position on Seminary Ridge one half of the Battery between Chambersburg Pike and the railroad cut. The other half north of the cut in the corner of the woods was actively engaged. The Battery afterwards retired with the troops to Cemetery Hill where it went into position on the Baltimore Pike opposite the Evergreen Cemetery commanding the approach from the town. Two guns on the Pike and two in the field two guns having been disabled.
July 2 & 3. Remained in this position.
Casualties Killed 2 Men Wounded 2 Officers and 29 Men Missing 3 Men