The 1st United States Artillery Battery C served as members of Tidball’s Brigade of the Cavalry Corps in the Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by a monument.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: Located on West side of Taneytown Road at Granite School House Road. Locates general reserve position occupied by Fuller 3rd US Artillery battery during Battle of Gettysburg, July 3, 1863.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SECOND BRIGADE HORSE ARTILLERY
BATTERY C THIRD U. S. ARTILLERY
Six 3 Inch Rifles
Lieut. William D. Fuller Commanding
July 1. Proceeded under orders to Manchester Md. and picketed and held all roads until afternoon of July 3 when ordered to Emmitsburg and marched to Westminster.