The 2nd United States Infantry Regiment served as members of Burbank’s Brigade in Ayres’ Division of the Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: West side of Ayres Avenue.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SECOND DIVISION SECOND BRIGADE
SECOND U. S. INFANTRY
Major Arthur T. Lee and Captain Samuel A. McKee
July 2. Arrived in the morning and took position with the Brigade at the right of the Twelfth Corps. Skirmished with the Confederates. Later moved to the left. At 5 P. M. formed line with left on north slope of Little Round Top and the right of Brigade line extending into some woods. Advanced across Plum Run and to the crest of the rocky wooded hill in front near the Wheatfield and facing left occupied the stone wall on the edge of the woods. The Confederates having opened fire on the right flank and advanced through the Wheatfield in the rear the Brigade was withdrawn under a heavy fire on both flanks and from the rear and of shot and shell from batteries and formed in line on right of Little Round Top.
July 3. Remained in same position.
Casualties Killed 1 Officer and 5 Men Wounded 4 Officers and 51 Men Missing 6 Men