The 2nd United States Artillery Battery B & L served as members of Robertson’s Brigade of the Army of the Potomac’s Cavalry Corps. The regiment is honored by two monuments.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: Granite Schoolhouse Lane. Located south side of Granite Schoolhouse Lane, to commemorate artillery park on adjacent George Spangler Farm.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIRST BRIGADE HORSE ARTILLERY
BATTERIES B & L SECOND U. S. ARTILLERY
Six 3 Inch Rifles
Lieut. Edward Heaton Commanding
July 2. Arrived at 5.30 A. M. In reserve during the day and at night withdrew two miles on the Baltimore Pike.
July 3. Advanced to former position in the morning and ordered to the Reserve Artillery and for a time exposed to a severe fire. In the evening was withdrawn to the position of the previous night.