The 1st United States Cavalry served as members of Merritt’s Brigade in Buford’s Division of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by monument and two position markers.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: Emmitsburg Road, South Cavalry Field. Locates the position occupied by Regular 1st Cavalry during the Battle of Gettysburg, July 3, 1863.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze.
Monument is inscribed:
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
RESERVE BRIGADE FIRST DIVISION
FIRST U. S. CAVALRY
Captain Robert S. C. Lord Commanding
Detachment at Headquarters Army of the Potomac
July 3. Moved with the Brigade at 12 M under Brig. General W. Merritt from Emmitsburg and attacked the Confederate right and rear and was engaged for 4 hours until the action was brought to a close by a heavy rain.
Casualties Killed 1 Man Wounded 9 Men Missing 5 Men