The 1st United States Artillery Battery H served as members of Ransom’s Brigade of the Artillery Reserve in the Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by a monument.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: Located in National Cemetery on east side, along upper drive. Locates position occupied by Regular Battery H, 1st Artillery during Battle of Gettysburg, July 3, 1863.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIRST REGULAR BRIGADE
BATTERY H FIRST U. S. ARTILLERY
Six 12 Pounders
Lieut. Chandler R. Eakin Commanding
July 2. In position on Cemetery Hill facing the Emmitsburg Road. Engaged July 2nd and 3rd. Lieut. Eakin severely wounded after his guns went into battery and the command devolved on Lieut. Philip D. Mason.
Casualties Killed 1 Man Wounded 1 Officer and 7 Men Missing 1 Man