The 1st United States Artillery Batteries E & G served as members of Tidball’s Brigade of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two tablets, one denoting the service of Chester’s section, the other to Kinney’s section.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: East Cavalry battlefield, nearer to the Hanover Road. Locates positions occupied by Kinney’s Section of Regular 1st Artillery during Battle of Gettysburg, July 3, 1863.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
BATTERIES E & G FIRST U. S. ARTILLERY
Four 12 Pounders
Capt. Alanson M. Randol Commanding
July 1 & 2. With First Brigade Second Cavalry Division. Not engaged.
July 3. One section under Lieut. James Chester was ordered to Second Brigade Third Cavalry Division and took position west of Low Dutch Road and with Brig. General Custer’s Second Brigade Third Division Cavalry Corps was hotly engaged in repelling the attack of Major General Stuart’s Confederate Cavalry Division. The one section under Lieut. Ernest L. Kinney remained near the Hanover Road.