1st & 2nd United States Cavalry (Position Marker)

The 1st United States Cavalry served as members of Merritt’s Brigade in Buford’s Division of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by monument and two position markers.

Monument to the 1st and 2nd United States Cavalry on the South Cavalry Battlefield.  East of Ridge Road, South Cavalry Battlefield, on old Merritt Avenue. Gettysburg May 2010

Location: East of Ridge Road on the bed of old Merritt Avenue. Located on South Cavalry Field East of Ridge Road.

Description: Denotes position of detachments of the 1st and 2nd U.S. Cavalry on the South Cavalry Battlefield. Erected in 1909. Bronze inscription tablet, 3’x2′, rectangular in shape with rounded corners. Polished granite pedistal. Overall height 5′ high. Marker is of the War Department Era and marks left flank of 1st & 2nd United States Regular Cavalry during Battle of Gettysburg, July 1-3, 1863. Marker is of the War Department Era and marks right flank of 1st & 2nd United States Regular Cavalry during Battle of Gettysburg, July 1-3, 1863. Erected after other United States Regular markers & is of a completely different style than earlier ones.

Advertisements