The Texas Brigade was also known as Robertson’s Brigade. It served as part of Hood’s Division of Longstreet’s Corps in the Army of Northern Virginia.
Location: South Confederate Avenue; Located on Confederate Avenue near its junction with the Emmitsburg Road. This monument is located next to the War Department tablet.
Description: This was the first non-regimental Confederate monument at Gettysburg, placed here in 1913 (thus predating even the Virginia state monument) through the effort of a group of private citizens. In addition to honoring the 1st, 4th, and 5th Texas Regiments, this monument also honors the 3rd Arkansas Regiment. Monument is a granite shaft with apexed-top; and polished east face with inscriptions. This Confederate marker was erected by private contributions from persons in Texas, represented by Mrs. Mable M. Bates. It marks the area occupied by the Texas brigade at Gettysburg prior to its attack on the Round Tops on July 2, 1863. It was dedicated on Sept. 17, 1913. Inscription reads, C.S.A./HOOD’S TEXAS BRIGADE/BRIG.-GENERAL/J. B. ROBERTSON/COMMANDING/1., 4., 5., TEXAS AND 3, ARKANSAS/INFANTRY REGIMENTS/JULY 2 AND 3, 1863.