The Pennsylvania Independent Artillery Battery E served as members of Muhlenberg’s Brigade in the Twelfth Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by two monuments at Gettysburg.
Location: Culp’s Hill near the observation tower.
Description: It indicates the position held by Knap’s Battery about 4:00 P.M. on July 2, 1863 when they, along with Kinzie’s Battery, responded to fire from a Confederate Battery across Rock Creek. In 1886, representatives from the Smith Granite Company made minor changes in the location of the piece to better indicate the Battery’s position during the battle. Originally, there was a polished granite ball on top and a bronze Pennsylvania Coat of Arms tablet on the face, but these were stolen. Granite ball has since been replaced. Manufactured by the Smith Granite Company, fabricator.