The 2nd Rhode Island Infantry Regiment served as members of Eustis’ Brigade in Newton’s Division of the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and a position stone.
Dedicated: Oct. 12, 1886.
Location: Sedgwick Avenue, north of Wheatfield Road. The monument marks the location of the regiment in the second line of the brigade on the night of July 2, 1863.
Description: Granite monument topped by bronze infantry accouterments, including drum and wreath. Monument is a smooth granite shaft, 2.10 foot square that is topped with a bronze sculpture of infantry accouterments and set on a rough hewn 4.6 foot square base. Overall height is 9.4 foot. An inscription and carved state seal is located on the west face.