The 1st Rhode Island Artillery – Battery E served as members of Randolph’s Brigade in the Third Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: July 2, 1886.
Location: East side of Emmitsburg Road, north of Wentz farmhouse foundation at Wheatfield Road. The monument marks the spot where the battery was moved on July 2, 1863, between 2:00 and 3:00 P.M. It fired on Confederate batteries in the woods on Warfield Ridge and later dueled with an advanced Confederate battery, possibly Taylor’s, until it was silenced by Randolph’s battery and a section of Ames’ Battery G, 1st New York.
Description: A square granite monument incised on the front with an image of two crossed cannon tampers and a pile of cannon balls.