The 153rd Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of von Gilsa’s Brigade in Barlow’s Division of the Eleventh Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and a secondary monument.
Dedicated: July 1, 1884.
Location: Wainwright Avenue, East Cemetery Hill. Located on the west side of Wainwright Avenue at the base of East Cemetery Hill.
Description: Monument is a smooth cut polished granite shaft incised with a state crescent, keystone, and inscriptions on the east face and set on a 3×1.8 foot, two-part smooth cut base. Overall height is 5.9 foot. It marks the position held by the unit on the evening of July 2, 1863 when they assisted in repulsing an attack. This monument was vandalized in May 1997; a time capsule containing mementos from soldiers who served in it was stolen from the base. Vertical marker rounded at top stands on a tiered base. A keystone and crescent are carved into the face to symbolize the State and the Corps.