The 149th Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Stone’s Brigade in Doubleday’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments and a position marker.
Dedicated: Sept. 11, 1889.
Location: Monument and flanking markers are located on the south side of Chambersburg Pike at McPherson Barn, east of Stone Avenue. It indicates the position held by the 149th Pennsylvania Infantry from 11:30 A.M. on July 1, 1863 until retiring to the Seminary and then to Cemetery Hill in the afternoon.
Description: Full-length figure of a uniformed Union soldier is seated on a tree stump. The figure has a moustache and holds his rifle by the barrel in his proper left hand. The butt of the rifle rests on the ground in front of him. Uniform items and accouterments include a bucktailed-kepi, canteen and cap and cartridge boxes. A square relief of a State Seal is affixed to the back of the tree stump. Monument consists of Barre granite with elements of bronze (including the rifle, bucktail, and bayonet scabbard). Flanking markers are 1×1 foot with an apex top.