The 142nd Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Biddle’s Brigade in Doubleday’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated Sept. 11, 1889.
Location: Monument is located on top of East McPherson Ridge, on the east side of Reynolds Avenue. It marks the spot where the 142nd Pennsylvania Infantry engaged Pettigrew’s North Carolina Brigade.
Description: The monument is a cross. The vertical form is rough-hewn except for the smooth area on the rear with inscriptions. The top has a diagonal plane and the Pennsylvania Coat of Arms relief is affixed to the front, just below the horizontal form. The horizontal form is smooth-faced except for the rough-cut left edge. It is affixed to the vertical form with four bolts. Flanking markers are one foot square.