The 140th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment served as members of Zook’s Brigade in Caldwell’s Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments.
Dedicated: Sept. 11, 1889.
Location: Sickles Avenue, west side. It indicates the position of the 140th Pennsylvania Infantry on the afternoon of July 2, 1863 when it rushed forward to assist the 5th corps.
Description: Monument consists of a tapered, two-course pedestal and rough-hewn base. There are various relief elements on the pedestal, including a bronze State Seal. The pedestal is topped with drum and draped flag finial. Monument is a 3.7 foot square granite shaft topped with a sculpture of regimental accoutrements set on a 6.4 foot square rough hewn base. Overall height is 15.7 foot. The shaft has inscription panels on all sides, and reliefs of rifles and accoutrements as well as a bronze state seal on the east side. Flanking markers are one foot square with apex tops that contain inscriptions.