The 140th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment served as members of Zook’s Brigade in Caldwell’s Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments.
Dedicated: August 11, 1885.
Location: Sickles Avenue, the Loop. Located across the road from the main regimental monument.
Description: Rectangular monument has an apex cap, beaded plinth and low relief of the trefoil corps insignia. Monument is a 3.7 foot square granite shaft topped with a sculpture of regimental accoutrements set on a 6.4 foot square rough hewn base. Overall height is 15.7 foot. The shaft has inscription panels on all sides, and reliefs of rifles and accoutrements as well as a bronze state seal on the east side. Flanking markers are one foot square with apex tops that contain inscriptions. It indicates the general position taken by the 140th Pennsylvania Infantry on the afternoon of July 2, 1863. Flaherty, John, sculptor.