The 139th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment served as members of Wheaton’s Brigade in Newton’s Division of the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments.
Dedicated: Sept. 11, 1889.
Location: South end of Althoff, Weikert Lane, north of Wheatfield Road. The location of the monument marks the position held by regiment on the evening of July 2, 1863, until the close of the battle.
Description: Granite monument with granite shaft and relief of eagle and crossed flags on front, and cap with Greek cross. Bronze reliefs of the Pennsylvania shield with eagle and horses appears below the granite relief. The monument sits on a rough-hewn base. Monument is a 3.11×2.1 foot granite shaft set on a rough hewn base, 6.5×5.4 foot. Overall height is 14.3 foot. The shaft has inscriptions on polished panels, a relief of crossed flags and eagle and a bronze state seal on the west side. It has a relief of a Greek cross on all sides of the cap. Flanking markers are flat topped, one foot square.