The 114th Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Graham’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments.
Base dedicated: July 2, 1886; Sculpture dedicated: Nov. 11, 1888.
Location: Located on the west side of Emmitsburg Road in front of the Joseph Sherfy farm house. It is enclosed with a cast iron fence. The monument indicates the position of the 114th Pennsylvania on the afternoon of July 2, 1863.
Description: A bronze figure of a Zouave loading his musket stands atop a granite shaft adorned with a bronze relief plaque. Monument is a two foot square polished granite shaft that is topped with a bronze statue of a Zouave and set on a three foot square smooth base. The shaft has inscriptions on all sides and a bronze state seal on the south face. Overall height is 12.8 foot. Flanking marker is one foot square with an apex top. This was one of the monuments damaged by vandals in February 2006 (other monuments damaged the same night included Smith’s New York Battery and that of the 11th Massachusetts). Fortunately, unlike with the other two monuments, the damage to the 114th Pennsylvania Monument was easily repaired and the monument was fully restored.