The 96th Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Bartlett’s Brigade in Wright’s Division of the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: June 21, 1888.
Location: Located at east side of the F. Althoff/John Weikert farm lane, north side of the Wheatfield Road. Marks position held by 96th Pennsylvania from July 2 to July 5, 1863.
Description: Rectangular granite monument with prone granite infantryman on top. He is dressed in uniform and holds a rife. He has a bayonet, canteen and cartridge box. On the west side of the monument is a bronze tablet with Pennsylvania State Seal. The granite monument is also decorated with a bronze Greek Cross with raised numeral 96. It was dedicated June 21, 1888. Monument is a 8.9×2.8 foot rough hewn granite shaft topped with a sculpture of a prone infantryman and set on a triple course rough hewn base, 9.8×3.7 foot. The shaft has smooth recessed inscription panels on all faces and a state seal on the west side. Flanking markers are one foot square. The end bronze tablet was a later addition to the monument, replacing an earlier inlaid mosaic of numeral 96. Thomas D. Gillespie of Cressona, Pennsylvania served as model for the soldier. The monument cost $1,500.00.