The 88th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment served as members of Baxter’s Brigade in Robinson’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and three position stones at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: Sept. 1889.
Location: Located on the west side of Doubleday Avenue. The monument indicates the position in the brigade line held by the 88th Pennsylvania Infantry on the afternoon of July 1, 1863.
Description: The monument was designed by the regiment’s surviving members. It cost $3,000.00 and consists of Quincy and Concord granite. Various infantry accouterments topped with an open-winged eagle stand on a polished die and rough-hewn base. A square relief of the Pennsylvania State Seal is affixed to the right side. Accouterments include a book, trumpet, revolver, flag, drum, sword, rifle, hat, canteen and haversack. The flanking markers are flat topped and measure one foot square.