The 109th Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Kane’s Brigade in Geary’s Division of the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: Sept. 11, 1889.
Location: Located on the east side of Slocum Avenue across from Geary Avenue. It indicates the position first occupied and fortified by the 109th Pennsylvania Infantry on July 2, 1863 and reoccupied by them about 2:30 P.M. on July 3 until the close of battle.
Description: Castellated monument stands on a two-tiered, rough-hewn base. There are three relief items, one on each side, one three sides of the piece, just above the base. Four fluted squat columns are incorporated into the four corners of the piece and terminate into the apexed top. A bronze State Seal in relief is affixed to the front. Monument is a multi-part granite shaft with a pyramid top and set on a six foot square coursed rough cut tapered base. The shaft has encastellated features, fluted columns, and a bronze tablet on the front, and incised inscriptions and corps symbol on all sides. Overall height is 12.8 feet. Flanking markers are one foot square.