The 106th Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Webb’s Philadelphia Brigade in Gibbon’s Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments and a position marker.
Dedicated: Sept. 11, 1889.
Location: Monument located on the west side of Hancock Avenue at the Copse of Trees. Indicates the advance position of the regiment on July 3, 1863.
Description: Tiered, rough-hewn and polished monument contains two reliefs on the front and back and is topped with sculptural elements. The front relief is the Seal of the State of Pennsylvania and the rear relief depicts the Gettysburg engagement. The piece is topped with a trio of snare drums arranged on their sides in a pyramid shape surrounded on each side by a knapsack. The Corps insignia is found on all four sides. Monument is a three-part granite shaft topped with haversacks and drums and set on a 5.11 foot square base. The shaft has a bronze tablet and bas-relief. Overall height 12.4 feet. Flanking markers are ten inches square.