The 74th Pennsylvania Infantry served as a member of Schimmelfenning’s Brigade in Schurz’s Division, of the Eleventh Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and a position stone.
Dedicated: July 2, 1888.
Location: South side of West Howard Avenue. It marks the position held by the 74th Pennsylvania Infantry on July 1, 1863, from 2:00 in the afternoon until it retreated to the town. The monument was damaged when it was struck by a hit-and-run driver in 2003 but has been repaired. The joint where the monument was broken is still visible.
Description: Full-length figure of a fallen color bearer sits on a tapered, rough-hewn base. The figure is seated with his hat on the ground by his proper right hand. He leans on the draped flag pole which he holds upright in his proper left hand. There is a relief of the Corps’ crescent insignia on the sides of the base and a relief of the Pennsylvania Coat of Arms on the front of the base. Flanking markers are one foot square.