The 72nd Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Webb’s Philadelphia Brigade in Gibbon’s Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments.
Installed 1888. Dedicated July 4, 1891.
Location: Webb Avenue at the Angle. The sculpture indicates the position held by the 72nd Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Brigade on July 3, 1863, where they stood in line and fired volleys into Armistead’s line as he advanced across the angle wall. The only monument at Gettysburg that was subject to a fight that went all the way up to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Description: Uniformed Fire Zouave soldier stands on a rough plinth on a square, tiered base. Holding his weapon in both hands, he swings it over his proper right shoulder, as though preparing to strike. The Seal of the State of Pennsylvania in relief is affixed to the lower front of the base. The base has bronze tablets. The shaft has an incised inscription. Erected by the surviving members of the 72nd Pennsylvania Infantry, Philadelphia Brigade in memory of their deceased members.