The 72nd Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Webb’s Philadelphia Brigade in Gibbon’s Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments.
Dedicated: August 27, 1883
Location: Located at the junction of the former Webb Avenue and Hancock Avenue.
Description: It was erected by the surviving members of the 72nd Pennsylvania Infantry, Philadelphia Brigade in memory of their deceased members. The sculpture indicates the position held by the 72nd Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Brigade on July 3, 1863, where they stood in line and fired volleys into Armistead’s line as he advanced across the angle wall. Monument is a two-part granite shaft with a two-part chamfered back and set on a 5.10×4 foot base. The shaft has a combination of finished and rough cut tooling with a zinc tablet in the center front. Overall height is 6.8 feet.