The 68th Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Graham’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments.
Dedicated: July 2, 1888.
Location: North side of Wheatfield Road at Peach Orchard. Near the Wentz house ruins. The monument marks the first position held by the regiment when Sickles’ line was moved up to Emmitsburg Road and in support of Clark’s New Jersey battery.
Description: A square granite monument topped with the Third Corps diamond symbol is adorned on the front with a bronze relief plaque depicting the Pennsylvania state seal. The monument rests atop a two-tiered base. Monument is a three foot square polished granite shaft that has a stepped cross-gable cap with an inverted red granite lozenge on the top and set on a six foot square rough hewn base. Inscriptions are located on the south, east, and west sides with a bronze state seal on the south face. Overall height is 12.4 feet. Flanking marker is one foot square with a polished gable top and inscriptions.