The 63rd Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Graham’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: Sept. 11, 1889.
Location: Located at the northwest corner of the intersection of Emmitsburg Road and Wheatfield Road. It is enclosed on two sides by a War Department board fence. The monument marks the general position held by skirmishers of the 63rd Pennsylvania on July 2, 1863.
Description: A cylindrical granite monument topped with the Third Corps diamond symbol is adorned on the front with a bronze relief plaque depicting the Pennsylvania state seal. Monument is a cylindrical granite shaft that is twelve foot in circumference that has a rough and smooth striped dome cap containing a four-sided diamond finial and set on a cylindrical, tapered rough hewn base that is 16.4 foot-in-circumference. The shaft has raised inscription panels and a bronze state seal on the east face. Overall height is 11.5 foot.