The 61st Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Neill’s Brigade in Howe’s Division of the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated July 24, 1888.
Location: Neill Avenue. Located at the avenue’s far end. It indicates the position held by the 61st Pennsylvania Infantry when in reserve from July 3, 1863 until the close of battle.
Description: Rectangular, vertical marker stands on a tapered plinth and low, square base. Decorative elements include a bronze relief Pennsylvania State Seal and the Corps cross insignia. Monument that has two flanking markers. Monument is a monolithic granite shaft with a concave tip and a pyramid cap and set on a 6.6 foot square smooth cut base. The shaft contains convex base excised letters, and polished and smooth cut faces with incised inscriptions. Overall height is 11.3 feet. Flanking markers are one foot square.