The 53rd Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Brooke’s Brigade in Caldwell’s Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: Sept. 11, 1889.
Location: Located on the north side of Brooke Avenue in Rose Woods. The monument marks the advance position held by the 53rd Pennsylvania Infantry on the late afternoon of July 2nd, 1863.
Description: Atop a tall granite base stands a bronze figure of an infantryman holding the barrel of his rifle in his proper right hand. His proper left hand rests at his waist with his thumb tucked into his belt. On his back he carries a bedroll, a knapsack, and a canteen. The base is adorned on the front with a bronze plaque depicting the Pennsylvania state seal. Monument is a 3.2 foot square granite shaft with an apex cap with crenellation topped with a bronze statue of an infantryman in an overcoat set on a six foot square rough hewn base. Overall height is 18.2 foot. The shaft has inscription panels on the west, south, and east. Flanking markers are apex topped, one foot square.