The 49th Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Russell’s Brigade in Wright’s Division of the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated Sept. 11, 1889.
Location: Howe Avenue, north side. It indicates the position held by the 49th Pennsylvania Infantry on the morning of July 3, 1863 to meet an expected Confederate flanking movement on left.
Description: A shaft on a three-sided base, stands on a two-tiered, rough-hewn lower base. There are reliefs of upright muskets affixed to each corner of the shaft, and a state coat of arms relief on the front. Atop the shaft is a three-sided finial with the Corps insignia of a Greek cross on each face. The whole is capped with a kepi. Monument is a triangular granite shaft capped with a triangular relief of the Sixth Corps Greek Cross and set on a six foot square rough hewn base. The shaft has inscriptions, a bronze half-musket attached at the corners, and a relief of a knapsack and drum on the south side. Overall height is 12 feet. Flanking markers are one foot square. Along with a number of other Gettysburg monuments, this piece was vandalized on March 14, 1913. The monument was vandalized for a second time in 1991 when thieves stole the bronze Pennsylvania seal, which was later recovered in a Maryland scrap yard.