The 30th Pennsylvania Reserves also known as the 1st Pennsylvania Reserves served as members of McCandless’ Brigade in Crawford’s Division of the Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments.
Dedicated: Sept. 1890.
Location: Ayres Avenue east of the Wheatfield. The monument marks the general location of the 1st Pennsylvania Reserves on the afternoon of July 2, 1863.
Description: Monument consists of short cylindrical granite obelisk with raised “book” panels inscribed with historical text, set atop four-course rock-faced base, on rock-faced sub base. On the front of the monument is a bronze Pennsylvania Seal. On the back of the base is a Maltese Cross. Monument is a cylindrical granite shaft, 10.3 foot in circumference, set on a five foot square, four-course rough hewn base. Overall height is 9.4 foot. The shaft has raised inscription panels on four sides. Flanking markers are apex topped one foot square. The words “Co. K Recruited at Gettysburg” were a later addition to the monument.