The 26th Pennsylvania Emergency Regiment was organized at Harrisburg on June 22, 1863 to respond to Lee’s Invasion. The regiment served as part of the Department of the Susquehanna. The regiment is honored by a monument and a position marker at Gettysburg.
Location: The position marker is located west of Knoxlyn Road on the north side of the Chambersburg Pike.
Description: Position marker is a granite monolith six feet high with a bronze inscription tablet. Denoting skirmish action against Early’s Division before the battle on June 26th. The stone marker with bronze plaque now sits in front of A&A Salvage yard. It reads, Twenty Sixth Pennsylvania Emergency Infantry met the advance of Early’s Division C.S.A. at this place on the morning of June 26, 1863.