The 1st Maryland Cavalry served as members of Gregg’s Brigade in Gregg’s Division of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: Sept. 11, 1889.
Location: It indicates the position held by the 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry on the evening of July 2, 1863, when in support of a nearby battery.
Description: Located on the east side of Hancock Avenue, south of Humphreys Avenue. A mounted cavalryman in relief appears in the front recessed area of a commemorative marker. The marker is square with an apexed top and stands on a tiered, rough-hewn base. The marker is rough-hewn on the sides and smooth at the top and the back. The figure and horse are full-length, and the figure holds a sword upright in his proper right hand. A Pennsylvania State Seal in bronze is located below the relief. Monument is a two-part granite shaft with a gable peak and set on a 9.3×4.3 foot rough cut base. The lower part of the shaft is incised granite framing a bronze bas-relief plaque and the upper part is an excised bas-relief extending to the gable. Overall height is 9.6 feet. Flanking markers are one foot square.