The 21st Pennsylvania Cavalry was recruited during the months of July and August, 1863, by authority of Governor Curtin, under the President’s call of June 15th, for cavalry for six months’ service and served in the Department of the Susquehanna. Company B was raised from Adams County. The regiment is honored by two monuments at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: Oct. 14, 1894.
Location: Baltimore Pike. Monument is located literally yards away from the main regimental monument.
Description: Vertical, rectangular marker with a triangular top stands on a base. A relief on the front depicts a horse’s head inside a downturned horseshoe. There are crossed sabers below the horse. This is the second monument to the 21st Pennsylvania Cavalry. It was erected by surviving members of the regiment and funded through private donations. It stands near where Private George Sandoe was killed on June 26, 1863, in an early skirmish of the Gettysburg campaign.