The 6th Ohio Cavalry served as members of Huey’s Brigade in Gregg’s Division of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: Sept. 14, 1887.
Location: West side of Taneytown Road at the junction with Pleasanton Avenue. This monument is sited at the location of Cavalry commander Alfred Pleasonton’s headquarters during part of the Gettysburg campaign.
Description: Relief of a uniformed cavalryman on a running horse appears on the face of a square marker with a pointed top and low rough-hewn base. The figure is holding the reins in his proper left hand and holds a sword over his head in his proper right hand. A relief of crossed sabers in a circle appears at the top of the monument, front and back. It was erected by the State of Ohio.