The 66th Ohio Infantry Regiment served as members of Candy’s Brigade in Geary’s Division of the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: Sept. 14, 1887.
Location: Slocum Avenue, east of the summit of Culp’s Hill. It marks the position held by the 66th Ohio near daybreak on July 3, 1863, when Col. Candy (commanding the 1st brigade and former commander of this regiment) ordered Lt. Col. Powell to advance across the entrenchments and line up to fire on the Confederates on the slope. As a result, the sharpshooters at the foot of the hill were dislodged.
Description: Shaft with a decorative apex cap stands on a tiered base and a natural boulder. Decorative relief elements include crossed muskets, a cartridge box and stars. Monument is a three-part granite shaft with a curvilinear top and set on a 5.7 foot square base. The lower part of the shaft has a polished face and an incised polished inscription. The middle part of the shaft has a polished face with incised and excised inscriptions and the upper part has crossed rifles and cartridge bag. Overall height is 12.10 feet. Flanking marker on the right is one foot square. The left flanking marker is in storage. The work has been knocked down twice by violent wind storms; in Sept. 1896 and June 1987. After the 1896 storm, the shaft was re-cut and fallen pieces were replaced by a local firm. The work was completed in July 1899.