The 55th Ohio Infantry Regiment served as members of Smith’s Brigade in von Steinwher’s Division of the Eleventh Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: Sept. 14, 1887.
Location: Monument is located East side of the Taneytown Road at its junction with Steinwehr Avenue and Washington Street. It marks the location where the 55th Ohio held the ground that the 1st and 11th Corps retreated to on July 1, 1863. The 55th Ohio maintained its position through July 2 & 3.
Description: Sculpture consists on a shaft on a two-tiered base. On the front face of the shaft is a uniformed soldier crouching behind a stone fence. He is firing his rifle and is kneeling on his proper right knee. The 11th Corps crescent appears at the top front. This is the site’s only sandstone monument and the only Ohio monument built with Ohio materials. Unfortunately, the soft stone does not weather well like harder stones such as granite and the monument is actually slowly melting away under the elements. Little can be done to correct this problem