The 3rd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery served as members of Tidball’s Brigade of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg and a tablet.
Installed Aug.-Sept. 1889. Dedicated Sept. 17, 1891.
Location: Located on the north side of Hanover Road, west of United States Cavalry Avenue. It indicates the position held by a section of Battery H on July 2, 1863 when they fired into the moving columns of Ewell’s Corps.
Description: Marker with rounded top and sloping plinth stands on rough-hewn base. The top and sides of the marker have rough-hewn surfaces. Recessed onto the front is a bas-relief of a cannon sitting on a rutted road against a split-rail fence. There are trees on the right and in the distance. A State Seal is affixed above the bas-relief and the Corps insignia of crossed swords is on the front face of the plinth. Monument is a three-part granite shaft with a polished face and rough cut on the other three sides, and set on a 7.5×5 foot rough cut base. The shaft has incised inscriptions, a bronze medallion, a corps emblem, and a sculptured bronze bas-relief. Overall height is 10 feet. Flanking markers are one foot square.