The 1st Ohio Cavalry Companies A & C provided headquarters guards to Gregg’s and Kilpatrick’s Divisions of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: Sept. 14, 1887.
Location: Near Hummelbaugh Farm, west of Taneytown Road. The 1st Ohio Cavalry troops provided dispatch bearers to the various headquarter commands on the field during the battle, especially to Gregg’s and Kilpatrick’s Divisions. This monument is located near the site of Pleasonton’s headquarters.
Description: Tiered marker with apex cap bears a relief of a horse’s head beneath crossed swords. Partially enclosed on three sides by a War Department era board fence.