The 150th New York Infantry Regiment served as members of Lockwood’s Brigade in Williams’ Division of the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and a position monument.
Dedicated Sept. 17, 1889
Location: It indicates the position held by the 150th New York Infantry on July 3, 1863 from 6:00 to 8:30 A.M. under heavy Confederate fire. Indicates position held July 3, 1863 6-8:30 AM & 10-12 noon. Monument is located on the east side of North Slocum Avenue.
Description: The monument cost $4,400.00. Monument consists of five courses of rough-hewn granite and castellated pilasters and cap. Relief elements include a State Seal tondo, regimental flag and Corps star emblem. The monument is designed to be a “tower of invincible strength” and is composed of thirteen layers of stone (symbolic of the original 13 states). A bronze plaque contains the names of those who fell in the battle; an intertwined laurel and oak leaf bronze sculpture above the plaque symbolizes the citizen-soldier. The front of the monument contains a detailed history of the regiment. The monument was unveiled by Ketcham’s daughter; the flag used to drape the monument was the same flag that Sherman had raised over captured Atlanta. Monument that has two flanking markers and one position marker.