The 137th New York Infantry Regiment served as members of Greene’s Brigade in Geary’s Division of the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac.
Dedicated: July 2, 1888.
Location: Located on the east side of Slocum Avenue. Indicates position occupied on the morning July 3, 1863 and held until close of battle.
Description: Vertical, rectangular marker stands on a pedestal and a low, rough-hewn base. A relief of crossed rifles with a cartridge box encircled by a garland is affixed to the front face, and a State Seal relief is installed on the front, lower portion of the pedestal. The apexed cap is topped with a Corps star insignia bearing the number “137.” Monument is a two-part granite shaft with a pyramid top containing the corps insignia and set on a 5.8 foot square rough cut base. The lower part of the shaft is smooth cut with a bronze medallion and polished excised letters, and the upper part has bronze rifles and a haversack with excised inscriptions on three sides. Overall height is fifteen feet. Flanking markers are one foot square.