The 134th New York Infantry Regiment served as members of Coster’s Brigade in von Steinwher’s Division of the Eleventh Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and a position marker.
Location: East Cemetery Hill, northeast of National Cemetery entrance. The monument indicates the position held by the 134th New York Infantry on July 2 & 3, 1863. Sited by Coster’s brigade wall, indicates position held by 134th New York July, 2-3, 1863.
Description: Monument is one of 90 in the park honoring New York troops who participated in the Gettysburg campaign. Vertical monument with a pyramidal cap and topped with a minie ball finial is installed on a tiered, rough-hewn base. Bronze elements include a knapsack, cartridge box, State Seal tondo and a crescent Corps insignia. Monument is a four-part stepped granite shaft with an ornate apex set on a 6.8 foot square base. The lower two sections of the shaft are rough hewn stone with tooled edges. The upper two sections of the shaft are polished stone with a bronze haversack and a shield and cartridge box affixed to it. An incised inscription appears on the front and rear of the upper part. Overall height is 10.1 feet.